Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Spiderwell's Cousin

"Nice place you've got here," the man said to me, his features bent into a wry smile. He had the look of a man with confidence, who was always prepared to move at the slightest threat, but nevertheless exuded a calm nature that relaxed those around him.

I nodded. "Do I know you?"

He chuckled and said, "No, but I know you."

I cocked my head at him, not understanding.

The man leaned in and grinned at me, then said under his breath, "I'm Spiderwell's cousin." He stood upright again, pleased with himself.

"His cousin?" I said, not believing a word of it. This man was clearly a human being, while my friend Spiderwell was a smallish, alabaster Wookiee. Genetically, it didn't seem possible. The human was obviously up to more than he was choosing to reveal.

"In a manner of speaking," he answered me. "I'm his man on the inside. His eyes and ears. I'm the guy who Spider sends to do the things that Spider doesn't actually do, if you follow me." He winked at me again and extended his hand. "The name's Spydey Ryder. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. Now I'd appreciate it if you'd let me into this little group of yours."

That is how Spydey Ryder came to be part of the Galactic Domination Corporation. Several weeks after my chance encounter with the woman who gave me my second Holocron, Spiderwell and I decided to finally move on our plans to form an association of like-minded individuals who could help each other work to achieve their common goals.

We formed a legal corporation under the laws of the greater Bestine district of Tatooine (which, admittedly, were rather loose - Tatooine is not a planet where legal order reigns supreme, to say the least). It was called the GDC somewhat out of irony, though we did intend to grow our respective businesses until they were formidable economic forces.

At the very start, our group consisted of only the two of us and a somewhat pesky but enthusiastic individual named Dunn Dakari. We soon met others who wanted to join us, namely Readro Amec, Altor Carnaise and Brannoncyll Frost.

Now, with the addition of Spiderwell's "cousin," Spydey Ryder, we had enough members to solidify our little band. Spider and I teamed up and built a new headquarters for the corporation, nicknamed it the GDC HQ and set up shop inside. I volunteered to take on the responsibility of being named leader of our group, though I made few decisions entirely on my own.

Throughout all of this, the formation of our corporation held only a fraction of my real attention. I was not able to keep my mind from drifting to the Holocron that the woman had given me as a gift in Bestine that night, and the message that it had given me when I held it in my hands the next day:

"You have progressed along the path of your personal destiny. In order to find the enlightenment you seek, you must learn to create companions for those in need."

The message had drifted through my mind like a soft breeze.

Create companions for those in need? Whatever could that mean?

A few days of quiet contemplation had led me to the decision that the only way that I would personally be capable of creating any kind of companions for those in need would be to engineer droids - semi-autonomous robots that can assist people with a multitude of tasks. With that in mind, I spent most of my free time during the formation of the GDC teaching myself how to build droids. By the time our HQ was completed, I had progressed to a level of skill that allowed me to construct any type of droid imaginable, in only a short time.

I felt satisfied with this achievement, knowing that I had learned something that could easily support me if my vehicle sales business should ever fail. But I felt no closer to enlightenment.

I would not feel that I had progressed until one fateful day when I received a message from Spiderwell on my personal data terminal...

"Maast - contact me immediately, I've learned something important..."

No comments: