Monday, October 11, 2004

Humble Beginnings, Part Three

One does not master any profession without much practice, much less a complicated and intricate profession like that of Image Designer. The details of such skills are only learned through constant repetition and hours of concentration.

I soon discovered that it was much more beneficial to have a practice partner rather than to hone my skills on my own humble appearance. I began looking for people who were interested in working as subjects for my craft.

Those I initially found were helpful, but usually required payment in the form of Imperial credits, something I rarely had many of. I grew weary of this and considered going back to making deliveries of repaired items, though in truth, I loathed the thought.

It was therefore a welcome stroke of luck that I happened to run into a friendly wookiee by the name of Spiderwell, who lived just outside the city of Mos Nox. He was more than happy to help me learn the Image Design trade, as he was dabbling in it himself. Even after he gave it up to pursue his medical studies full time, he still did me the favor of allowing me to practice my skills on him. Wookiees are particularly challenging when it comes to Image Design, as they are covered head to foot with fur and have very subtle features.

I spent a lot of time with Spiderwell while learning the trade, and subsequently we became fast friends. We were full of grand ideas in those days, of how we would form a corporation and become the greatest economic power in the galaxy...

For the time being, though, it was enough to progress in my skills so that I was worthy of the title Master Image Designer.

Part of me expected something significant to take place once my goal had been achieved, but there was nothing except the satisfaction of having risen to the top of the field.

I was confident, however, that I was truly on the path to Enlightenment - whatever that might prove to be.

No comments: