Sunday, October 10, 2004

Humble Beginnings, Part One

As these Chronicles begin the record of my life after it has already begun (indeed, a great deal later), I believe it might be informative to record a brief summation of my existence thus far, so that all of the relevant historical points are included.

I was born in a small community on the planet Rori, to middle-class parents who worked hard to earn what they had. My father was a shipwright and my mother was a lobbyist - an unlikely pairing, but one that functioned better than most of those others that I knew.

My childhood was relatively uneventful, punctuated only by the usual adventures of youth and the common mishaps of adolescence.

My father always intended that I take up his trade, to work as a designer of interplanetary merchant-class craft that traveled the entire galaxy. Though the sleek design and powerful engines that propelled my father's ships were intriguing, I never had much interest in life beyond Rori. Space was a vast, empty place where there was little to do but freeze to death.

All of that was forcibly changed when my father declared that we would take a vacation on Naboo. His performance at work had earned him the right to take a Rori month off and travel where he pleased in one of his own ships. Since birth, he had always dreamed of seeing the great palace of Theed, so there was little I or my mother could do to dissuade him from this idea. As I was not yet of a fully grown age, I had no choice but to go along.

Halfway to Naboo, the hyperdrive on the ship failed, and we found ourselves bouncing down from light speed directly into Imperial restricted space.

Without hesitation or warning, our ship was fired upon. The resulting blast sent me careening across my cabin, where my head collided with the sharp corner of my bedframe and knocked me unconscious.

When I awoke, I found myself face to face with an Imperial medical officer. He explained that I had been transferred to an Imperial transport and was to be offloaded soon. My questions about my parents were avoided and never directly answered.

After a few hours of waiting in a featureless cabin that was little more than four walls, I was informed that the transport had entered orbit around our destination planet. I was to disembark immediately.

I was given a CDEF blaster for my own protection, and shuttled down to the planet. I stepped off the gangplank and watched the ship take off, leaving me alone on a strange planet, with no knowledge as to the fate of my family.

As I later discovered, I had been offloaded onto the planet Tatooine, a desert world that I had never heard of, in the city of Mos Eisley. And such began the next great stage of my life.

No comments: