Sunday, October 10, 2004

Humble Beginnings, Part Two

My inital wanderings on this planet were random and ill-conceived. I had never been on my own before, and had no idea how to properly take care of myself. I had to learn everything from the beginning, all on my own.

Putting the meager technical skills passed on to me by my father, I was able to make a small amount of credits by tinkering and repairing devices for paying customers. It took a great while, but eventually I learned many more skills and became an Artisan of some reknown.

Before long I was approached by a politician from northern Tatooine, who told me that if I agreed to move to his city, he would provide me with my own house and monetary assistance. As I had no residence and spent my nights under the stars in the desert, the offer was too generous to resist. I soon found myself the resident of a small village in northeastern Tatooine, and the owner of a secure, if rather generic-looking and small house.

The benefits of this arrangement soon proved themselves to be meager indeed. The town was a city of ghosts, of people that I never saw or spoke to. I was alone among hundreds of houses and buildings. What's more, the mayor of this town, who approached me to reside there, was rude and unfriendly. I found myself spending less and less time at my own house.

One day, while running a few parts from Mos Oasis to Mos Entha, I reached in my pack for my delivery and to my surprise, I found a strange, glowing object. It was a cube, no larger than my fist, and radiating a strange, blue light. I had no idea where it had come from.

When I returned home for the night, I pulled the cube out again and examined it more closely. I now saw that it strange runes inscribed on all sides, and that it pulsated ever so slightly, as if instilled with some strange power just waiting to be unleashed.

But how to unleash that power? And how to use it?

No sooner had the thought crossed my mind than the cube suddenly flared to life. Blue light poured out of it and nearly blinded me with its intensity. In my mind, I heard a voice. It spoke to me softly, but clearly.

"In order to find the enlightenment you seek," it said, "You must learn the ways of the Image Designer."

I considered this. An Image Designer, I knew, was a person who was able to assist another in changing their appearance. On my home planet of Rori, they were often employed by the government in the intelligence service, to alter the appearance of their agents. It was not a profession that I had ever considered for myself.

According to this mysterious artifact, however, it seemed that learning this profession might help me find enlightenment. What could that mean?

In my mind, at that point in my life, there was only one possible answer. Enlightenment meant discovering the fate of my family.

I resolved that I would become a Master Image Designer, if it was the last thing I did.

No comments: